School Logo

St Pauls C of E (VA) Primary School

School Logo

St Pauls C of E (VA) Primary School


Charging & Remissions

St Paul’s C of E Primary School
Charging and Remissions Policy


1. Introduction

This policy is based on the 1996 Education Act. This document was approved at the February 2014 meeting of the Governing Body. The implementation of this policy is the responsibility of the Headteacher and the Governing Body.

2. Activities for which there is no charge:

There is no charge for admitting pupils to the school or for education within the school day.
There is no charge for school time activities, but parents may be invited to make voluntary contributions (in cash or kind) to enhance these activities and be shown the level of contribution suggested.
No pupil will be excluded from an activity if their parents cannot or will not make a contribution of any kind. However the school reserves the right to cancel an activity if insufficient donations are received.
The school may decide to support an activity from general funds or specific fundraising events.

3. Activities that can be charged for

Music tuition provided it is not part of the National Curriculum or a prescribed Public Examination. The charge can include the cost of the teacher giving the tuition as well as the cost of sheet music and the hire and insurance of a musical instrument.
Reports for independent schools in addition to what would normally be required by any state school will incur a £25 fee to cover administration costs (parents not schools will be charged).

Board and Lodging for all residential activities, either inside or outside school hours (any charge must not exceed the actual cost).

Residential Visits. If the number of school sessions taken up by the visit is equal to or greater than 50% of the number of half days spent on the visit, it is deemed to have taken place during school hours (even if some activities take place late in the evening). Whatever the starting and finishing times of the school day, regulations require that the school day is divided into 2 sessions. A ‘half day’ means any period of 12 hours ending with noon or midnight on any day.

Non-residential Activities. If 50% or more of the time spent on the activity occurs during school hours, it is deemed to take place during school hours. Time spent on travel counts in this calculation if the travel itself occurs during school hours. School hours do not include the break in the middle of the day.

Where less than 50% of the time spent on an activity falls during school hours, it is deemed to have taken place outside school hours. For example, an excursion might require pupils to leave school an hour before the school day ends, but the activity does not end until late in the evening.

Optional Extras e.g. extra tuition but not for National Curriculum examination syllabi or statutory R.E. activities.

External Activities not organised by the L.E.A. or the school.

Materials for e.g. Design Technology. Parents may be charged in cash or kind if they have indicated in advance a wish to own the finished product. They may be encouraged to contribute voluntarily.

4. Breakages

The school may charge for breakage, e.g. windows or books, as a result of misbehaviour.


5. Remissions

Any charge may be remitted in full if the family is in receipt of any of the means of support below and apply for remission to the Headteacher (or in cases of hardship at the discretion of the Governing Body):


  • Universal Credit in prescribed circumstances;
  • Income Support (IS); Income Based Jobseekers Allowance (IBJSA);
  • support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999;
  • Child Tax Credit, provided that Working Tax Credit is not also received and the family’s income (as assessed by Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs) does not exceed £16,190 (Financial Year 2013/14);
  • the guaranteed element of State Pension Credit;
  • an income related employment and support allowance that was introduced on 27 October 2008.


The Headteacher should advise all parents that anyone in receipt of family credit or income support is entitled to claim remission and that the activity may not take place where there are insufficient funds to support it.